Of course Larisa isn’t becoming all soft suddenly.
I had a dozen different ideas for Larisa’s dialog in the last panel, but this one was the best in my opinion.
- Priest: … since the Lord will forgive those who honestly repent their sins. Yes?
- Larisa: Is there some sort of guideline on which sins are exceptions to this rule?
- Priest: Huh? You mean, like murder?
- Larisa: No, no, the less obvious ones. Because I really don’t want to end up like the poor fellow in Numbers, chapter 15, who was stoned to death as commanded by the Lord for gathering firewood during Sabbath.
- Larisa: I also don’t want to be mauled to death by a bear just for mocking a prophet like the little children in Kings, chapter 2. In any case, there’s no evidence that the Lord gave them time to repent before punishing them this way.
- Larisa: I’m appalled that the church refuses to give me religious guidance on avoiding sins for which I’ll be mauled to death by bears.