Sandra North is a 12-year-old girl who lives with her father Richard in a town in a rural area in the north of the United States. Sandra often gets in trouble because of Woo’s (mis)behavior, so she is glad that her father usually lets her get away with a sigh and she’s not grounded for four weeks. Sandra is a good, but not great, student and particularly enjoys solving complex mathematical problems, which does not exactly enhance her popularity among other students. She is also concerned about the conservation of nature.
Woo is a typical raccoon: cuddly, mischievous and equipped with a golden sense of touch. He will break your heart with a smile and then, while you are looking away for a second, raid your fridge. Woo is always eager to learn more about the world, but a few human behavior patterns will most likely remain a mystery to him forever. He differs from most talking animals in other comics in that his hunting endeavors are usually successful in the end.
Cloud Williams is Sandra’s boyfriend. He is the son of two fanatic Final Fantasy fans, David and Ye Thuza, and was named after Final Fantasy VII’s hero Cloud Strife by them. When Cloud is not practising sword fighting, he is playing with his younger sister Yuna. His Burmese mother Ye Thuza is a member of Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy. Cloud dreams of bringing freedom and justice to the oppressed peoples of Burma one day.
– First appearance in strip #27 Major Mistake (1st panel)
Larisa Korolev is another good friend of Sandra’s. Her life philosophy can be summed up in three words: “Life is now!” Larisa is doing whatever she wants to do, without thinking too much about the consequences of her actions. As a passionate pyromaniac she’s always keen on setting things on fire, abandoned huts just as well as the hearts of more or less innocent boys. She’s particularly interested in Cloud, which naturally causes some conflicts with Sandra every now and then. Larisa is a young femme fatale; a prime example of the chaotic neutral alignment of various role-playing game systems.
Larisa’s father Ivan works as an artist and mostly paints abstract and/or apocalyptic paintings to earn a living. Although Larisa has inherited his love for the arts, they don’t get along that well since she prefers landscape art to Pollock’s “masterpieces”.
– First appearance in strip #33 Russian Revenge (1st panel)
Sandra’s single father Richard works as a senior software developer in a web technology company. His job is demanding, but whenever his daughter needs a shoulder to lean on, she can count on him. Richard is usually placid, but if there is one thing that he cannot stand, it is injustice.
– First appearance in strip #2 Homesickness? (1st panel)
Shadow is a red fox living in the large forest near Sandra’s house together with his mate Echo and their kits. Woo and Shadow are often seen together, either discussing the inscrutable ways of humans or catching mice. Shadow is known for his eloquent way of speaking. (Woo, Shadow, Sid and all other animals use a language that is incomprehensible to humans when talking to each other.)
– First appearance in strip #15 The Vow (4th panel)
Sid is a Eurasian red squirrel who ended up in the United States when his mother Hazel, pregnant with him at that time, fell into the suitcase of a traveler. Sid is rather a fast runner than a quick thinker, but he has developed exceptional skills when it comes to avoiding getting eaten by dangerous carnivores.
– First appearance in strip #14 On the Run (1st panel)
All characters that have appeared in more than one strip or single story arc:
- Benjamin: Cloud’s friend – first appearance in strip #159 Proof Of Love (1st panel)
- David Williams: Cloud’s father – first appearance in strip #18 Cloud (4th panel)
- Echo: Shadow’s mate – first appearance in strip #74 Rabid Escape (4th panel)
- Ivan Korolev: Larisa’s father – first appearance in strip #297 a.r.t. I (1st panel)
- Jelena Korolev: Larisa’s mother – first appearance in strip #119 The Departure (2nd panel)
- Justin: Larisa’s old boyfriend – first appearance in strip #168 Messi(ah) (1st panel)
- Landon: Larisa’s new boyfriend – first appearance in strip #48 Immoral Insight (1st panel)
- Lily: Woo’s girlfriend – first appearance in strip #143 Love at First Sight (2nd panel)
- Michelle: Zoey’s best friend – first appearance in strip #158 Excuses, Excuses (1st panel)
- Nigel O’Sullivan: Sheriff of the town – first appearance in strip #182 Unexpected Turn Of Events (1st panel)
- Ralph: Bully at Sandra’s school – first appearance in strip #27 Major Mistake (1st panel)
- Rocky: Shadow’s son – first appearance in strip #231 Dinner (1st panel)
- Rose: Shadow’s daughter – first appearance in strip #231 Dinner (1st panel)
- Theo: Cloud’s friend – first appearance in strip #159 Proof Of Love (1st panel)
- Tibor: Alpha raccoon of the forest, saved Woo’s life once – first appearance in strip #35 Reliable Sources (2nd panel)
- Ye Thuza Williams: Cloud’s mother – first appearance in strip #30 Naypyidaw Sector 1 (2nd panel)
- Yuna Williams: Cloud’s younger sister – first appearance in strip #155 Rebel Heart (1st panel)
- Zoey: Popular girl in Sandra’s class, special “friend” of Larisa – first appearance in strip #33 Russian Revenge (1st panel)
Recurring characters that may not appear again in the future:
- Gus and Rocco: Two raccoon jerks with more muscles than brains – first appearance in strip #35 Reliable Sources (3rd panel)