View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 19:08

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Josh Nickerson's The Nolans 

It's not my comic, but hey, I like it, and Josh Nickerson's comic definitely shows its Calvin & Hobbes inspiration just like Sandra and Woo does. While it may not be quite as fancy as Sandra and Woo is, Josh updates three times a week and very rarely misses an update (e.g. once every several months, at most). Josh also throws out the occasional color strip every once in a while, too.

So, if you like Calvin and Hobbes, and I assume you like Sandra and Woo, since you're on its forums, Josh Nickerson's The Nolans might be worth a look.

...Hmm...Was that a good sales pitch?

16 Feb 2009, 00:38
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

The characters are likeable and the newer strips are generally better than the older ones, but I think there are still too many strips which are just not funny or insightful, like this one, or this, or this.

The comic is still better than 95% of all other webcomics, though, but I think the result if often not up to the real potential of the comic.

Gaia | Gaia auf Deutsch

"Don't be someone who they forget!"

18 Feb 2009, 16:32
Profile WWW

Well, yeah, I concede the point on the funny and insight. Not everyone seems to have the ability to pull it off all the time. Just because something isn't perfect, though, does not mean it isn't good at all.

Or am I just too easy to please?

But more to the point of this post: The Nolans is a webcomic, not a syndicated cartoon strip. There is no deadline for webcomics, so authors can set their schedules for whenever they want, and have a new strip ready for readers whenever they feel like it.

This is not a good thing.

No deadlines leads to laziness and complacency more than anything else. I'm just a small-time webcomic junkie, but I can't tell you how many great quality strips are out there that I would love to see more of, but very rarely-to-never update at all, except for the common "I'm too lazy, so no comic" excuse. All of these comic always have a strong start, too, but after a few months pass (and just as I discover it, usually), the self-imposed schedule goes from being a pseudo-deadline to guideline, to a suggestion, to nothing at all. Actual updates become a thing of the past, and the fan base dwindles to so few. Pop goes the bubble, and I have to move on.

It's seriously such a shame.

Moral of the story? You are not a pirate. They are not more like guidelines than actual rules. Stick to your schedule.

The Nolans is one of the webcomics I read that best do this. I made a point of bringing that up because I feel it is actually an important quality for a webcomic.

18 Feb 2009, 19:20
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]