Results of the fanart contest 2014 – Places 13 to 25

It’s time to present the submissions placed between the positions 13 and 25 of the Sandra and Woo and Gaia fanart contest 2014. As you can see below, all of them are great pieces of art that would have deserved to be in the top 12. I’m super happy to have received so many fantastic and diverse entries again! Also don’t miss to check out the first batch of submissions which I posted last Thursday.

The submissions are ordered alphabetically. Please show your support by visiting the artists’ websites and writing a comment in the comment section of this blog post!

by Aile D’Ciel

The red highlights work really well and I like Woo’s pose and facial expression in this professional looking drawing. Aile already submitted a drawing of Woo as James Bond for last year’s contest which made it into the top 10. I hope that Aile isn’t too sad for barely missing the places with prize money twice in a row.

by Alyssa Portofee

A super cute drawing of Sandra and her friends. Larisa shouldn’t have worn any other shirt.

by Andrew Wittrock and his wife (website)

It’s really cool to not only receive drawings, but also very nice renderings such as this one of Lilith once in a while. The lighting turned out particularly well in this piece which must have taken quite some time to create. According to Andrew’s comment his wife has done most of the work, but I don’t know her name.
[Artist’s comment: It is a 3D rendering of Lilith and the bluestream. My wife did the modeling in 3DS Max, and posed her in Zbrush. I rendered the image in Max, and my wife added the flame, and did some tweaks in Photoshop.]

by Austinhays414

This year we received much more crossovers between Sandra and Woo and Gaia than last year. Austinhays414’s submission is not only very detailed, but also quite funny. Woo’s facial expression is great and I love the bottle of “cow juice”. The magic effect also looks good, although I think that Lilith would be a little bit embarrassed casting a portal with such a sloppy outline ;).

by Desy Tan (website)

Sandra and Woo being happy together. Who wouldn’t want to give them a hug?

by Ewa U (website)

This wonderful landscape drawing by Ewa would have been a serious challenger for one of the six cash prizes if it weren’t for the massive chins of Lilith and, even more so, Viviana. I would love to see a version with conventionally drawn faces because everything else looks so beautiful.
[Artist’s comment: My drawing doesn’t make too much sense in the context of the story, but I felt kinda sad for Lilith for going from a prison cell straight to an underground base. I’m sure she misses the outside, so I got her to look at some open scenery!]

by FudgemintGuardian

A well drawn pencil portrait of Ilias and Lilith, but a little bit too conventional for the top 12.

by Jeff X.

A very atmospheric drawing of Sandra as her alter ego private eye Sandy South. The lighting is particularly great and it’s still easy to recognize Sandra although she’s drawn in a much more realistic style. I was unsure for quite a while if I should put Jeff’s entry in the top 12.

by Juho Choi

I like how the Ileasaarian flags are flapping in the wind in this dynamic drawing, and the professional color composition. I asked Juho for a larger version of the drawing but both e-mails bounced back.
[Artist’s comment: I love Viviana’s character and personality and all that spunk so much! I suppose the scene can be interpreted as one pleases, but the title of the piece is called “Our Beloved Leader”.]

by Kelsey Maguire

“Excellent!” This is certainly an odd pairing that I didn’t expect to see ever. Of course I like the funny facial expressions, but also the color composition with the colored rectangles in the background. Apart from Larisa’s nose, Kelsey’s drawing style is remarkably close to Powree’s.

by Maja Vallazza

Oh boy, I think Cloud needs a cold shower fast… 😉

by Matthew May

In my opinion this is the second funniest submission we received, the funniest one is in the top 12. With a little more technical polish, I would have placed Matthew’s drawing in the top 12 as well. Cloud’s and Sandra’s facial expressions are maybe the highlight of the piece.

by Ntimi Schnütgen (website)

I wonder if that’s a “realistic” self portrait or just wishful thinking on Larisa’s part… Either way, I’d buy it in a heartbeat! 😉 This was one of the first submissions I received and it was in the top 6, or at least close to it, until I was flooded with submissions in the last four days of the contest.

Last but not least, I would like to point out Vanessa Hawley’s submission again that did not made it into the top 25 initially. But after having a second look at it, I think that the drawing at least deserves another honorable mention for the great concept to show Larisa meditating on the sun:

Click here to see the comments!
Look!