Creative outlets

General discussions about comics, current events, media, politics, etc.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Creative outlets

Post by Rabid_Fox »

So, art is one. Writing is one. Music is another.

I'm not a man blessed with talent in any of the obvious areas and I find it very hard to express myself creatively and I'm always massively impressed by people who manage to invent something that wasn't there before, be it a picture, a story, a song or even a turn of phrase.

So what creative outlets do you access and what can you show us? Share and share alike, whyever not.
Oh my.
Ninja Skunk

Re: Creative outlets

Post by Ninja Skunk »

May I point out that the way you use the word "art" is a misnomer? Music, writing and storytelling are also arts. The term you probably need is "illustration."

Which is to say I actually partake in all of these. Illustration is the only one I have any sort of extensive history on, though--Eight years, next to the few months I've been working on the others.

If you want to see some of my older works, you could look at this old DeviantART page I haven't bothered with in a few years. If I could just get my ducks in a row, so to speak, I'd probably start up again, but I don't know when I'd actually have enough decent artwork to make it worth it.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

Some of those aren't bad. There's a lot of art in my family (my sister, in particular, has sold art in galleries and designed logos for companies, clever girl that she is).

I said share and share alike and didn't, I'm a kaka-poopie-doopie naughty, me.

Beholden: Hookless, badly sung songs - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=556327

Huh, interesting - first song on the list was for the OTHER Woo-raccoon comic strip. What a small, stupid, little, coincidental world we live in.
Oh my.
Ninja Skunk

Recreative Outlets! Get it?

Post by Ninja Skunk »

Well, if you think that some of that old artwork isn't bad, I might have to show you the crazy pictures I plastered on my bedroom wall. It's better, or at least far more recent.

On to your music. Well, yeah, I have to admit it's not all the greatest of quality, but you did all of those yourself? Eighty-six tracks, and it sounds like you sung and played the guitar (and an ukulele for "The Barry Burton Song," I think) for all of them, which is far more than I can say. I've never tried to sing, and I can barely tinker out a few tunes on a keyboard, and the only music I've ever composed are these two half-done MIDI loops.
practicemidi1.mp3
The energetic one.
(555.1 KiB) Downloaded 1489 times
practicemidi2.mp3
The calmer one.
(271.84 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
I still learn on it though. It's pretty much my life's dream to master the arts of writing, music and illustration; a maven of the arts, if you will.

And yes, it's a small, stupid little coincidental world we have here, but I'm not going to complain. It gives me something to laugh at.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

I'll listen to those later, for now I'm killing time at a train station.

Guitar, ukulele and, lately, some keyboard. One day I'm going to take singing lessons. When...you know...hell freezes over. Or I have some spare money lying around. Whichever comes first. Funny story - I hardly upload any of the songs I've recorded (takes too long).

I used to write too, but then I got a poetry book published and started hating the whole writing world. Last thing I wrote was a short story like...seven years ago. No Dickens, I.
Oh my.
Ninja Skunk

Post by Ninja Skunk »

Which is to say you've done more than those eighty-six? Wow, I really need to start practicing more.

By the way, that reminds me, have you ever studied music theory at all? It helps me out a bit.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

If by study you mean cooked into a pie and slammed my face into repeatedly, then yes, yes I have.
Oh my.
Ninja Skunk

Post by Ninja Skunk »

That's close enough; although, if you're going to do the same for color theory and design theory, I think it has to be a cake to count.
Ninja Skunk

Post by Ninja Skunk »

Okay, I don't know if you're still interested, but hey, if you are, I did start a new DeviantART account. It has the stuff on the wall I was talking about in there, as well as a few desktops I've made.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=556327

Banged a bunch of new tunes up.

I dig those midis by the way. I'd prefer to hear them than a lot of things on the radio.
Oh my.