Comic layout tips

General discussions about comics, current events, media, politics, etc.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Comic layout tips

Post by Novil »

Simple, yet perfectly illustrated comic layout tips: http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2006/09 ... redux.html
Ninja Skunk

Re: Comic layout tips

Post by Ninja Skunk »

You know, Novil, the fact that you find all of these guides and tutorials online and then share them with everyone really lets me like you. Sure, just sharing what you find and think others may be interested in makes you a swell guy; but the fact that you're out there finding all of these guides in the first place speaks epic about you. You're not some self-centered snob who thinks that he has already perfected his comic. You are humble enough to admit you are less than ideal, and you actually take active effort to learn and improve yourself and your comic.

You also definitely have a mind of your own. I can't remember a time when you have "gone with the flow," and you seem to have little reservation about letting anyone know if you didn't like someone's actions, even if you respected them. Even some of the things I have badgered you about before, you have seemed to ignore and continue to do things your own way. That's actually something I respect.

Cheers, man. To friendship, life, and the art of (not) eating squirrels.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

Yeah well I think it's rude and also a jerk and knees.
Oh my.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

I particularly liked page 7 since I was not aware of the problems with “down shots” yet.

Off topic:

If each of your new strips get 40+ comments, you have to become quite selective what to do with criticism. “I don’t like this strip because of X and Y.” is usually not very helpful because when you have 5,000 readers it’s impossible to please everyone with each update so there will always be a handful of people who don’t like a particular strip for valid, yet overall insignificant, reasons.

I am concentrating on two main issues:

The grammar. Nobody cares about perfect grammar in forum posts, but in a comic strip it has to be nearly perfect. But people have to understand that it’s very hard for someone with English as a second language. On top of that it’s sometimes impossible for me to find out if a certain phrase is out of style.

The amount of words in each strip. Regarding comic strips less is better almost always. For example, someone was pointing out that there was too much dialog in the last panel of “An overdue visit” (Woo could have said those things in the second panel). But adding words is always easy, removing them while still saying the same is the hard part.

Many other things are, after all, just personal taste. And if you don’t like a particular strip you have to wait for the next one. And if you don’t like most of our strips, then, maybe, Sandra and Woo is not the right thing for you.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

I sympathise with the 'English as a second language' thing. English is very confusing for a non-native speaker. I really struggled when I was in school with the language, especially because I was in the UK system.

English grammar be happen all the good thing.
Oh my.