Reporting spelling and grammar mistakes

Discussions about everything related to Sandra and Woo, including questions about the website or forum.

Also the board for official announcements and posting rules.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Reporting spelling and grammar mistakes

Post by Novil »

I am trying really, really hard to avoid making spelling and grammar mistakes when writing the dialog of the strips. However, neither me nor Powree is a native speaker. So it is always possible that I used the wrong tense or a really weird phrase. If such a mistake catches your eye, please report it here. (or in the comments of the specific strip)
randomonlooker
Novice

Re: Reporting spelling and grammar mistakes

Post by randomonlooker »

You've made a few small grammar mistakes on this post (all in the same sentence) (which if you didn't notice, may be made again on the comic). "However, neither me nor Powree is a native speaker" Here the 'subject' is plural -'neither me nor Prowree'- so the verb has to agree with the subject (i.e. is should be are as there are two subjects). If you want to get really formal (nobody notices any more though) personal pronouns should always come after others (i.e. 'you and I' instead of 'I and you', in your case it should be 'neither Powree nor me', again that's a forgotten formality). Of course, apart from the verb not agreeing with the subject, these other rules are for formal English. (e.g. Verbs has to agree in number with their subjects. (Same type of mistake you made, practically).

EDIT: I made a mistake (silly me) in the analysis, I read the post wrong. I've corrected it now (it was regarding the difference between nor and or, I thought you wrote or instead of nor and got a little fuddled up so you did that correctly and I erroneously said that it was incorrect and gave some bad information, well, we're all prone to error)
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

randomonlooker wrote:You've made a few small grammar mistakes on this post (all in the same sentence) (which if you didn't notice, may be made again on the comic). "However, neither me nor Powree is a native speaker" Here the 'subject' is plural -'neither me nor Prowree'- so the verb has to agree with the subject (i.e. is should be are as there are two subjects). If you want to get really formal (nobody notices any more though) personal pronouns should always come after others (i.e. 'you and I' instead of 'I and you', in your case it should be 'neither Powree nor me', again that's a forgotten formality). Of course, apart from the verb not agreeing with the subject, these other rules are for formal English. (e.g. Verbs has to agree in number with their subjects. (Same type of mistake you made, practically).

EDIT: I made a mistake (silly me) in the analysis, I read the post wrong. I've corrected it now (it was regarding the difference between nor and or, I thought you wrote or instead of nor and got a little fuddled up so you did that correctly and I erroneously said that it was incorrect and gave some bad information, well, we're all prone to error)
Irony.
Oh my.
randomonlooker
Novice

Post by randomonlooker »

Irony
Oh, not really, I know mistakes when I see them, (even though I am prone to them)
but he's specifically asking for help, so that those mistakes aren't made again,
The type of mistake here is the kind that will crop up over and over if the situation is not erected.
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Very minor correction, but in the latest strip ([0179] Most Wanted), Cloud's final dialog bubble is a bit awkward. It currently says (ignoring some of the words) "Mom's been taken off that page two years ago" which doesn't quite read right. Better alternatives would be "Mom was taken off that page two years ago" or "Mom's been off that page for two years."

As it is, you have the present and past tenses mixing with each other in an unnatural way.
Neveko
Secretary General

Post by Neveko »

Ah. Good catch. I agree "Mom's been off that for two years," would be a better alternative.
Pencil

Post by Pencil »

For "Easily Misinterpreted," I kinda think shortening the last part from "Saved the live of my friend" to just "saved my friend" flows better, making more of a sentence pattern type deal. "Two (noun)s (action)ed my friend!" Know what I mean?
Novil

Post by Novil »

Although it’s certainly not a spelling mistake, this is an interesting suggestion I will have to think about.
NeonJ
Novice

Post by NeonJ »

Actually, I agree with "saved the life of" more than just "saved". While it doesn't exactly go as good, it's not THAT noticable or bad, and it sort of emphasizes the fact that his friend was dying. (What was his friend's name again?)
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

I don't want to be critical, but.. Um..

In "Pizza II," the third panel, I think it would sound a lot smoother if it was, "You still love their pizza, don't you?" Or, "Do you still love their pizza?"

"You still love their pizza, do you?" Sounds kinda awkward. Just sayin'.
Forgive me if now I wear the face of worry
This time alone could never cause any doubt

Cause
laughing lovers can overcome their closest demons
And they’ll go on and they
won’t let go
Neveko
Secretary General

Post by Neveko »

Yeah, must have missed that in the editing. It should be "don't you?". I mean, no, I didn't miss it, I just didn't get the context because the text is edited without the pictures to go with it. Leaving "do you" can be correct, but it connotes a different meaning and works only in a specific context.
Novil

Post by Novil »

Fixed.
BHetrick
Novice

Post by BHetrick »

In 0232-the-fall, either "it started" or "it all started" would be idiomatic (en-US). "All of it started" is not incorrect, but is not a phrase a native speaker would use.
Neveko
Secretary General

Post by Neveko »

I agree. "It all started" would indeed work better. Thanks for the correction.
All-Purpose Guru
Novice

Post by All-Purpose Guru »

In the comic when the french guy gets tasered: (5 January 2011, at least in the US)

"Code Blue" is medical terminology for a heart attack and is pretty well known (thanks to TV) to mean that.

The actual code the guy would use would depend on who the security guy works for.

If he's using police codes (pretty common) he would have said
"10-78" which means "need assistance"
or
"10-33" which means "emergency"

If this is in LA, the police have much more descriptive codes (many people are familiar with these due to the high volume of U.S. cop shows that are situated in LA.) You'd want in that case
"4-22" which means "Criminal threat", which includes terrorism.

You probably could get away with the generic "Code Red" because it doesn't have a well-known meaning.

Thanks for the faboo comic. Well, except for the extensive torturing of Cloud and Sandra. Just let 'em kiss, already!
EvilJackCarver
Novice

Post by EvilJackCarver »

All-Purpose Guru wrote:In the comic when the french guy gets tasered: (5 January 2011, at least in the US)

"Code Blue" is medical terminology for a heart attack and is pretty well known (thanks to TV) to mean that.

The actual code the guy would use would depend on who the security guy works for.

If he's using police codes (pretty common) he would have said
"10-78" which means "need assistance"
or
"10-33" which means "emergency"

If this is in LA, the police have much more descriptive codes (many people are familiar with these due to the high volume of U.S. cop shows that are situated in LA.) You'd want in that case
"4-22" which means "Criminal threat", which includes terrorism.

You probably could get away with the generic "Code Red" because it doesn't have a well-known meaning.

Thanks for the faboo comic. Well, except for the extensive torturing of Cloud and Sandra. Just let 'em kiss, already!
I'm pretty sure they'd use Code Bravo for something like that...

I'll post evidence later.
Spoilers increase your car's aerodynamics, and I'm a lousy typst.

FULL CIRCLE, THE WEBCOMIC.
Novil

Post by Novil »

BHetrick wrote:In 0232-the-fall, either "it started" or "it all started" would be idiomatic (en-US). "All of it started" is not incorrect, but is not a phrase a native speaker would use.
Using Google “All of it started” seems to be a commonly used phrase and I like the sound of it. I won’t change it.
All-Purpose Guru wrote:In the comic when the french guy gets tasered: (5 January 2011, at least in the US)

Thanks for the notice, but I’m not sure I will change it.
AngelMatvey
Novice

Post by AngelMatvey »

This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I just wanted to point out that in the new poll regarding how often we access Sandra and Woo, the option for accessing it regularly via Smartphone is on there twice, while the option for accessing only sometimes is not. I just wanted to give a heads-up in case nobody has mentioned it sooner.
Novil

Post by Novil »

Thank you for the note.
Twaintoss
Novice

Post by Twaintoss »

I found a minor mistake in the Strip [0258] And Away:

In the last panel Larisa asks:
"Do you see where he's flying to?"

But since she is referring to the (unknown) eagle
(I checked the German version to confirm this),
A correct version would be:
"Do you see where it's flying to?"
Andere: "Versuch doch einfach mal, NICHT so sarkastisch zu sein!!!"
Ich: "VERSUCH ICH JA ! Ihr gebt mir nur keinen guten Grund, dabei nicht zu scheitern!"
Neveko
Secretary General

Post by Neveko »

"He" is English's gender-neutral pronoun (though, usually only reserved for when referring to people, I'll admit). Besides, I really couldn't see it mattering. It doesn't change anything about what the comic is saying, and it's not even technically an error.