└ posted on Sunday, 10 April 2011, by Novil
There are always people who want to buy a new computer, but are not up-to-date with the currently available technology. I just bought a new one and did some research about the best, but still affordable components before that. I had a look at tech specs, magazine reviews and customer opinions. In my opinion it’s now finally the time to get a SSD as primary hard-drive for the operating system and applications since these bring significant performance improvements, especially regarding the starting time of programs. Adobe Photoshop is now ready to use almost immediately after clicking on its symbol. My new PC, which replaces a 7 year old methuselah, is also very quiet, so I’m very happy with it overall. So if your budget is around 1000€ ($1300) to get a really fast and reliable machine with a projected lifetime of six years, you should check out the following components:
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 178,33 €
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3, Intel P67, ATX 115,19 €
- Graphics card: MSI N460GTX-MD1GD5/OC, 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 152,08 € (a very similar card is available at Amazon)
- RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9 8GB-Kit 70,80 €
- Hard-drive: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 199,28 €
- External hard-drive: Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB, USB 3.0 103,82 €
- Case: Thermaltake V4 Black Edition 37,32 €
- Power supply: be quiet! Pure Power 530 Watt / BQT L7 57,41 € (not available at Amazon)
- DVD burner: LG GH22NS black SATA 22,89 €
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version) 79,68 €
└ posted on Sunday, 3 April 2011, by Novil
Sunday next week, 10 April 2011, is the deadline for our fanart contest. We have received some nice entries so far, but only by 10 different people. This means there is still a good chance for semi-competent artists to break into the top 5 who receive prize money.
└ posted on Monday, 28 March 2011, by Novil
If you’re not yet looking My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic you’re missing out one of the most entertaining cartoon shows since, well, ever. Here are my two favorite episodes so far: Swarm of the Century and Sonic Rainboom which I found so great that I already watched it twice. They are also among the favorites of many other fans. Both were written by M. A. Larson so I’m sure we’ll hear more of him/her in the future.
Swarm of the Century:
If you’d like to watch the episodes in HD, you can find download links (and a magnet torrent) in this thread at Ponychan: http://www.ponychan.net/chan/ep/res/754.html
Some fans are a bit extreme ;):
I never really cared at first, but when all the drama went down a few weeks ago with the mods banning everyone. I kinda got curious, and I watched the show.
I thought it was just you guys latching onto it in a kitchy, “yeah this is crappy, but in an amusing way” kind of way.
I was wrong.
I love this. I love the characters, I love the songs, I love everything about it. I’m currently on episode 11, and I’m going to try to watch the rest of the season that’s out tonight. This show… it’s just so… I really don’t know how to describe it. It just fills me with this sort of nostalgic glow that reminds me of when I was a kid and didn’t have to worry about anything, and makes me feel wonderful about myself. I’ve actually got tears in my eyes as I’m writing this, but they’re tears of joy.
I love you guys so much.
└ posted on Sunday, 13 March 2011, by Novil
After the big success of our editing contest, I decided to hold another competition, the first Sandra and Woo fanart contest. We have received a couple of nice drawings during the last two years (see the fanart section on our Artwork page), but I’d really like to see more interpretations of our characters by other artists. Unlike most other such contests on other (webcomic) websites, ours comes with a nice prize money for the five winners who I will pick from all contestants:
- 1. place: $100
- 2. place: $50
- 3. place: $25
- 4. place: $15
- 5. place: $10
I’m not only looking for technical skill, but also for clever ideas. You’re free in your choice for the subject of the image as long as it’s related to our comic and its content is suitable for most minors.
Please send your image in an e-mail to email@example.com which should have the subject “Fanart Contest”. You can attach the image to the e-mail or include a link to it. You must submit the image before Monday, 11 April 2011. I hope one month will be enough time for everybody who is interested in participating in the contest.
Additional information about the contest:
- You are allowed to submit several drawings (or other types of art), but you can’t win multiple prizes, only the prize for the best drawing.
- You are allowed, even encouraged, to post your image elsewhere on the internet as long as you’re not giving the impression that you’re the “owner” of the characters you drew.
- If you choose to color your image, you must give the characters the same hair color as seen in the following drawings or this strip.
- After the initial display in a blog post, the images will be put into the fanart section of our Artwork page. If you have a website which is suitable for minors, you should include a link to it in your e-mail.
- You can sign your work, but a large, ugly watermark will significantly reduce your chance of winning anything.
- If your image is drawn digitally it would be the best if you send it to me in its original size in a lossless format (for example TIF or PNG without reduced color depth). If your image is drawn on paper and then scanned in, you should send me a cleaned-up version of reasonable size in a lossless format. The more detailed the artwork is, the bigger the image size should be. But don’t send anything with more than 25 million pixel (5000 x 5000 pixel).
└ posted on Monday, 7 March 2011, by Novil
I’m currently discussing various options for Sandra and Woo merchandising with a company. So I’d like to ask you if you are interested in a specific kind of product? So much that you would actually BUY it although it will certainly cost more than a similar product in a generic store, especially when considering the shipping costs? You’re not limited to printed stuff (t-shirts, mugs, etc.) with your suggestions, though. It could be anything.