Legit comments marked as SPAM

Discussions about everything related to Sandra and Woo, including questions about the website or forum.

Also the board for official announcements and posting rules.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Legit comments marked as SPAM

Post by Novil »

It’s not happening often, but once in a while legitimate comments by readers get marked as SPAM. I’m checking those several times a week so that I can approve them afterwards. So if your comment did not show up after posting it this does not mean that you’re banned (which is only true for two people currently), but that you either got a dynamic IP address previously used by a spammer or your comment included words commonly used by spammers or other stuff like that.

I can’t turn the spam filter off since our website would instantly get more SPAM comments than real ones.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Re: Legit comments marked as SPAM

Post by Rabid_Fox »

I shouldn't wonder if maybe removing the comments mightn't be a bad idea. This may seem strange, I know, given how opposed I was to it before, but a couple of considerations:

1. The comment-rating thing is a bit of a circle-jerk
2. The issue you've raised
3. The forum has died a death, may as well not be here most of the time

I think it might be encouraging (looking at successful webcomic communities such as Define Cynical and DMFA's section on The Clockworkmansion) to bring the comment-leaving fanbase into the forum with a "Discuss Today's Strip" subforum, bringing the cut and thrust of debate over here.

I like the immediacy of the comment system, but I don't like the way it encourages...well, put it this way, I've given Larisa's speech in the recent strip a lot of thought in terms of delivery, the marriage of art and writing, the comparison between it and the Penny Arcade strip, so on, so forth but I know if I post it, it'll be hidden within a few votes because it's not overwhelmingly positive.

There's my two cents (Euro, of course, to heck with that dollar thing).
Oh my.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

The comment section will stay for a new, very important reason:

- It ensures that there is a lot of text for the crawlers of our ad agencies on the most visited pages of the website. And I really, really don’t want to get kicked off of ADSDAQ for not enough text on the website. (Which is quite common for other websites.)

And I myself like the voting system very much. Really stupid comments get burried fast and comments with really interesting information often get highlighted. If someone thinks that a comment with valid concerns is undeservingly burried he can always vote it up.

However, I would like a more active forum too. But you can’t have it all, I guess.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

Fair enough. It would be nice to see a more....core community, I agree. Surely there must be some incentive that'd migrate the commenting masses (of which there are plenty) to the forum for more interaction?

It'd only be a benefit in the long run, I feel.

Also, that avatar of mine needs changing. Tsk.
Oh my.