Why did you choose to make "main" cast so young?

Discussions about everything related to Sandra and Woo, including questions about the website or forum.

Also the board for official announcements and posting rules.
Landbark

Why did you choose to make "main" cast so young?

Post by Landbark »

I have one thing I must ask, it's stupid and not very deep thing but still.
Why did you choose to make "main" cast so young? (11 years old after all). While they are all behaving like they were much older? I am sure that's not life or death nor existence thing but still it bugs me... why?
(If that's too obvious or not so important, I am sorry for asking).

If someone already asked this, I am sorry to repeat it but I didn't found answer or question anywhere ^_^ (that would make me a lazy, useless nobody for what I apologize).
"It's better to die for Gaia than live for yourself"
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Re: Why did you choose to make "main" cast so young?

Post by Novil »

I don’t think the portrayal of the behavior of children in Sandra and Woo compared to their age is more unrealistic than that in Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes.
Landbark

Other words

Post by Landbark »

In other words, It's more of a tradition than...well choice of topics and response?
Novil

Post by Novil »

You could not do the role-playing as the “Empress of Northia” with a 14-year-old teenager.
Landbark

Not the right left.

Post by Landbark »

That's obvious, I guess you create the story for the characters rather than characters for the story (A place for mistake here). The story of Empress would never happen after all, If Sandra was more adult. But anyways, thanks for answer ;]
Jirin
Novice

Post by Jirin »

I'm guessing for the same reason Lisa Simpson is the smartest person on the planet Earth.

Using children allows characters to have innocence and playfulness, without being bogged down by real world responsibilities. Characters with adult-level intelligence and maturity but child-level inexperience and insecurity have the broadest range of emotional and philosophical expressiveness.
Landbark

Thoughts

Post by Landbark »

That's obvious Jirin, but sometimes hard to understand.
But back then it was just fallout from certain strips: 159, 160 and 161.
After reading these I had my doubts (not that they would matter anyway) about topics on Sandra and Woo and cast's age. Today I say. To heck with it.
Jirin
Novice

Post by Jirin »

Yeah, I mean, if Sandra and Woo were a heavy plot driven comic like Sluggy Freelance or something, then the age might be a problem. Sandra and Woo is more like Ozy and Millie (Very similar actually), or a more serialized version of Calvin & Hobbes.
Novil

Post by Novil »

Well, until December 2010 they were 11 and looked like 10 which was a bit problematic. Now they are 12 and also look like 12, so their age should be less of a problem.
Landbark

Not so much for an opinion...

Post by Landbark »

Well Jirin, In my opinion while both of these webcomics have similar core idea, there is not so much similarity between them as we might think, little to say I view Ozzy/Millie show as perspective story (events are described by kids) and it works great for it's irrational world. While Sandra/Woo is more of action adventure type of the story and it requires more realism (well, sort of ). So it's not so easy to compare those two when it comes to kids age. (although in the end it is just a way of writting)

Well Novil, it helps, but not as much. Storyline is still the main source of solutions and problems. Also, I don't see much of the change in their look, so sorry in advance.
Jirin
Novice

Post by Jirin »

I don't really see it as an action/adventure comic. I see it more as a character driven philosophically oriented comedy, which happens to have the occasional action/adventure plotline.