Spam Bots

Discussions about everything related to Sandra and Woo, including questions about the website or forum.

Also the board for official announcements and posting rules.
Neveko
Secretary General

Spam Bots

Post by Neveko »

It's clear we need better security for this forum. The amount of spam bots that make it through and post/spam the entire forum is ridiculous. We need to either make it more difficult for bots to register or limit the amount of posts new members can make. If you go with the latter, I suggest one post per day until it's clear they're not a bot (which is easy to tell just based on that one post they get).

Just food for thought, I guess.
powree
Secretary General

Re: Spam Bots

Post by powree »

Indeed...

Perhaps the registering process can use a different bot-proof system? Although I cant really recommend which is best... (and they are quite annoying when you register if it's too complex)
powree
Secretary General

Post by powree »

This week is the craziest spam attack ever... wow
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

There are several plugins which prevent the registration of spambots in phpBB 3 forums. But they are quite complicated to install (you need to change half a dozen source files) and the phpBB group has announced that they want to change the captcha in the next release. I’m therefore flinching from installing such a plugin if it could become obsolete next week. I have now deactivated the registration of new users until I know what to do.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

The registration is open again but the first post of a new member now has to be approved by me before it appears on the site. This won’t solve the problem of spambots registering new users but at least they won’t be able to write posts.
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Seems like a good workaround to me.