Discussions about everything related to Sandra and Woo, including questions about the website or forum.

Also the board for official announcements and posting rules.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

Well, so far we’ve not received much negative feedback. The one exception are some readers in this thread of a German RPG board I frequently visit, who are basically saying that Sandra and Woo is not very funny or boring.

However that’s nothing compared to the following e-mail from an angry, anonymous German guy hiding behind his e-mail address bloooba-sixpack@yahoo.de I got after starting some threads in various art forums searching for an artist for Sandra and Woo.

I wonder if it’s a new world record to receive hate mail even before posting the very first comic. I also wonder if stupidity is rampant among artists (see his last line), since 60 of them were very interested in drawing Sandra and Woo. Besides that, he managed to get all the facts of my offer wrong. But that should not come as a surprise.
Hello,

I have just read your website and the requirements for your comic.

Sounds good and very ambitious.

However, your price ideas for such a project surprise me.

You do want to pay $xx for a page?

This is really the shit, that there are always people who think to have super-duper ideas which other people should then realize so that it will be great.
But then, they don’t want to pay for it.

Just make inquiries at the IO about the current hourly rate and what you can expect for your petty tip.

If anybody should reply to this, he is quite stupid!

Really a great project you're starting there und I wish that your clients will honor it just the way you honor your illustrator.
Here is the original, I have translated, for everybody who speaks German:
Hallo,

ich habe mir gerade mal Deine Website angeschaut und die Anforderungen zu Deinem Comic durchgelesen.

Klingt gut und sehr anspruchsvoll!

Allerdings haben mich Deine Vorstellungen von den Preisen für so ein Projekt doch etwas überrascht!
Du möchtest $ xx für eine Seite bezahlen?

Echt der Hammer, da gibt es immerwieder Leute, die meinen eine ganz tolle Idee zu haben, die dann andere umsetzen und so realisieren sollen, dass es toll wird.
Aber dafür bezahlen wollen sie dann nicht.

Erkundige Dich mal bei der IO, wie der derzeitige Stundensatz ist und was Du für Dein läppisches Trinkgeld erwarten kannst.

Wenn sich da einer meldet ist er ziemlich bescheuert!

Klasse Projekt was Du da startest und ich wünsch Dir, dass Dir Deine Klienten oder Kunden es genauso honorieren, wie Du Deinen Illustrator honorierst!
Novil

Re: Feedback: Worst of

Post by Novil »

Ben wrote:
This is one of the worst comic strips I have ever seen. I just spent an hour reading the entire archive, thinking that maybe it would eventually be good if/when the author settled into his strip. Nope. Never happened. I can’t believe there is a link to this garbage from Neil Swaab’s sight. This strip is only slightly better than Sally Worth, and not even as funny as Garfield, which hasn’t been funny for over 20 years. Poor grammar, too, although judging by the comments from the readers, that might be a nod to the strip’s target demographic. All in all, just a terrible effort. Time for Powree and Oliver (dumb names, too) to abort this mess and start over.
Lol. This pathetic troll needs more practice. His trolling attempts are wayyy too obvious.

I found the following gem on his defunct website:
A lot of people around here do not like me. I am not sure why, but I believe it has something to do with my non-conformist attitude.
Well, I am quite sure why. :) :D
Novil

Post by Novil »

Esn wrote:
Generally, I would say that I like comics that are sometimes smarter than I am (i.e. Cat and Girl) more than comics that are sometimes dumber than I am (i.e. Sandra and Woo - to be honest, I mainly follow that one because I like the art). The former gives me, as a reader, something to reach for; a direction in which to go. The latter asks me to go back on the path from which I came; to fall backward into senility.
Ouch. Somebody does not like my writing.
Novil

Post by Novil »

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
I’d like this strip more if you’d leave out the slam against another comic, especially when you’ve been pretty preachy yourself. I won’t get into the relative quality of your preachiness, but I’ll just say I’m more interested in what happens to the blue dog now than Woo.
Preferring Raine Dog to Woo… now I’m sad… … nah, not really. ;)

Dewimorgan wrote:
Other than one minor “love interest” story arc, S&W has had little direction or story or point: I’ve been reading and waiting for the comic to “kick in”, but it’s becoming obvious that it’s designed mostly as a shallow gag-comic with wacky hijinks à la Tom’n'Jerry with a twist, and sunday-comic-style puns, and the occasional heavyhanded “environmental message”.
[…]
So far, S&W has barely even exercised any braincells in its readers. RD hasn’t preachily thrust answers at us, but it *has* asked us to think, to ask ourselves questions like: spaying and neutering pets in *our* world is unquestionably good.
Somebody did not read the comic description on the “About” page…
Somebody is also really pissed that I dissed his favorite comic. :D