Shadowdancers 007

Discussions about everything related to Gaia, including questions about the website or forum.
gearheadwhat
Novice

Shadowdancers 007

Post by gearheadwhat »

Is it just me, or did this just turn into a Tolkien copy?

I had expected a little more than that. Even the names are simliar, and we have a human woody-esk warrior. An elf, and a dwarf, looking in similar armor as well. Tolkien tip offs might be nice, but this is a bit close yes?

The artwork is great as always though.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Re: Shadowdancers 007

Post by Novil »

If you pay me 3000€ a month I can quit my day job and write an even better story.
Landbark

Post by Landbark »

These guys are ancient history anyway. So we shouldn't bother about them.

They won't replace Illias, Lilith and others (I think they won't).

It's just a reference, a very nice touch :)

and... does Tolkien have the monopoly on teams with Elf, Dwarf and Human?

Not so much :)
"It's better to die for Gaia than live for yourself"
Neveko
Secretary General

Post by Neveko »

A lot of things are inspired by Tolkien. A. Lot. If you want to criticize them all, you're free to do it. Just lettin' you know, you aren't making them any less popular nor are you diminishing their quality by pointing this out.
Omugoshi

Post by Omugoshi »

I also found the vague Tolkien referrence/similarity but since I love LotR it just made my impression of the comic better...
They are, as stated, ancient history which makes the referrence quite miniscule and frankly insignificant.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

I was unaware of someone named Arathorn in the LotR mythology until the page was already published. I only knew Aragorn and thought Arathor is different enough. Arathor is a name that my parents frequently used for player characters in RPGs and I was unaware that it was directly taken from LotR instead of just being inspired by Aragorn.
Squire James
Novice

Post by Squire James »

Tolkien did a lot of borrowing himself. In particular, over half of the dwarves in The Hobbit were direct name-lifts from Norse mythology. Not to mention a little story about Siegfried and a certain Ring...
Omugoshi

Post by Omugoshi »

As of the actual race of dwarves I think Tolkien was original wasn't he?
Or was there dwarves before that?
Copying doesn't matter at all to me on such small things. The races of the universe doesn't (yet) seem important to the story.
Be Happy...
What more do you need?

www.sigurdf.tumblr.com
Squire James
Novice

Post by Squire James »

Norse mythology had references to a race that was definitely the precursor to what we think of as dwarves, though they also used a term similar to "dark elf" to refer to the same race. Essentially, dwarves were dark elves that made powerful items capable of interacting with gods on an equal or even slightly superior basis (e.g. a lot of Thor's equipment).

Snow White pre-dated Tolkien, but the original tale likely referred to a group of humans with dwarfism rather than a race of short people with long beards. The Disney adaptation of the tale makes this less clear, to the point that Disney may have actually intended the Dwarves to be members of a different race rather than a group of short humans.