More cartoonists losing my respect…

General discussions about comics, current events, media, politics, etc.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

More cartoonists losing my respect…

Post by Novil »

The first is D. C. Simpson, the creator of “Ozy and Millie” who is currently annoying his fans with the atrocious “Raine Dog”, probably one of the worst comics ever put on the internet. He has not delivered originals and prints worth $350 the die-hard fan Cougartiger has bought over a year ago (forum post)! Normally I would be very hesitant to believe accusations made in a fan forum, but since my own e-mail odyssey lasted six months until I finally got my “Ozy and Millie” original, I believe Cougartiger every word.

Mark Tatulli, the creator of “Lio”, calls people who point out the serious flaws and legal catches of the contest “Comic Strip Superstar” by Universal Press Syndicate, close-minded elitists (comment #62). In the same post, he calls comic strips “commercial art” in a way that he obviously believes himself that they have almost no artistic worth. EDIT: It’s not like I “hate” Tatulli now, I’m rather feeling disappointed since I believed someone who writes such an innovative comic has a higher opinion of the art form he has chosen himself to express his thoughts.
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Re: More cartoonists losing my respect…

Post by Rabid_Fox »

True story about DC Simpson. He's a lunatic who accepted money from a chummy chum of mine who had just fathered twin boys and wanted (god bless his geekery) a commission from DC as a commemorative whatever.
Long story short, the commission never materialised, mostly on account of DC refusing to response to emails from my chum.
To think, I bought his merchandise. You'd better not go the way of my favourite coffee mug, I tells you.
Oh my.
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

I'll be honest, the reason I joined Define Cynical in the first place was to find a way to contact DCS through there, as my emails were going nowhere. To this day I believe he never got my check and just sent me the strip print after a month of badgering just so I'd shut up, rather than asking to send the check again (which I offered to do). The check was never cashed as far as my bank history tells me.

I also find it kinda funny that he took the link to DC down from the Ozy & Millie site because it became "too toxic" when really all we were doing was saying exactly what everyone else was - that Raine Dog isn't as good a comic as he likes to believe.

In short, I can go back to the 2000-2004 strips of O&M and remember why I fell in love with the comic, but I no longer have any respect for the artist himself. Or herself, or whatever. Another reason I've lost respect for him, but that's for another time.
Long Tom
Novice

Post by Long Tom »

Ironically, even the nasty website Encyclopedia Dramatica seems to underestimate what an awful person D. C. Simpson is, or has become lately. (Dare I admit that, though it was occasionally very funny, I never really liked Ozy and Millie overall?)
kitsune
Novice

Post by kitsune »

Ok DC simpson, was a great artist that bringed us Ozy and Millie, hell i love that comic, Tim to time I search for the archives...well..really, but now...whats up with him, Raine dog...I dont hate her, but its not really that funny...even if it tries to hard...then I dont mind fetishes, but when you do in DA a lot of pictures of shaved animals..well...I say, whoa, there a re a lot of things to draw out there...

end of rant...