Gender Differences in Receptivity to Sexual Offers

General discussions about comics, current events, media, politics, etc.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Gender Differences in Receptivity to Sexual Offers

Post by Novil »

That’s the title of an awesome study done in the 1980s on the Florida State University campus that’s showing once again that men and women are not the same.

A male student approached 16 women and asked them: “I have been noticing you around campus. I find you to be very attractive. Would you go to bed with me tonight?”

All women reacted with outrage at this offer.

Then a female student asked 16 men the same question and 12 of them said “Yes.” The other apologized politely since they already had a girlfriend/wife.

Here is a slightly longer article about the experiment: http://www.madsciencebook.com/07bedwithme.htm

Here is the scientific paper written about the case (a second study done three years later yielded the exact same results): http://www.elainehatfield.com/79.pdf

Another interesting finding was that it was easier for the female student to get a positive answer to “Will you have sex with me?” than to “Will you go on a date with me?”
Arborean
Novice

Re: Gender Differences in Receptivity to Sexual Offers

Post by Arborean »

Interesting. I am sure there is a brain physiological reason for this behaviour, but this is obvously arising form a scenario of "beggars and choosers".

Most (all?) vertebrate males have to "prove" their worthyness to mate, while females are the gatekeepers. In other words, males will take whatever they can get while females have more reason to be discriminating. After all, they have to spend much more time and energy bearing offspring; so it better be good offspring!!
SandraMJ

Post by SandraMJ »

That is really interesting. I remember watching in TV a experiment that proved that men have a gen that makes them be more promiscuous than women. May be these two facts are related?

Anyways, in my school that rule is easily broken, since it's easy to see a guy asking some of the... Ahem... Worst girls -let's call them just that- Doing similar propositions, and receiving an affirmative answer. Then again, it may happen just because they think that saying those things they are more cool and popular -and sadly, that's true.
This sig is unavailable. Please, wait till Sandra comes up with some black-humored one-liner Caruso's style.
Arborean
Novice

Post by Arborean »

SandraMJ wrote:it may happen just because they think that saying those things they are more cool and popular -and sadly, that's true.
That's probably it. Also, as we strive for more equality between the sexes, gender roles may change. Although, if genes are involved, some things will stay the same; you can't change hard-wiring :) .
tyciol
Novice

Post by tyciol »

It is pretty odd why people would react with rage at that. It's like it's seen as an insult to a woman if you bother to think she might be receptive but not an insult to the guys in this test who are complimented by the interest.
Neveko
Secretary General

Post by Neveko »

Uh, you don't see the problem in some random stranger coming up to you and saying, "Yo, let's bonk," ? Quite honestly, would you jump into bed with a stranger who just sort of wandered up to you (and who could have been stalking you, from the sound of it)? I don't think it would be flattering for someone I'd never seen in my life to come up to me and assume I'd sleep with them. Sure, "interest" is flattering, but I don't think a stranger talking to you for no other reason than to ask if you'd have sex with them is all that flattering. You know, because women don't get treated as a piece of meat enough, they have to have someone assume they'd have sex with them just because they asked.

Also, there's a difference between "rage" and "outrage." A fine one, but yeah.
John da surfer
Novice

Post by John da surfer »

I’m seriously not that icky.