Let's talk about Burma

General discussions about comics, current events, media, politics, etc.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Let's talk about Burma

Post by Novil »

Today, there was another news report in German online magazines about a Burmese blogger who has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for just writing about the hardship of life in his country. Although there are many trouble spots on earth, the situation in Burma has always made me particularly sad. I think what makes it especially bad is, that the Burmese people have really done their best to get rid of the military regime and have yet not had any success. Moreover, the opposition really looks like it would bring justice and freedom to the people instead of being just the same vinegar in another bottle like in many other dictatorships.

It is quite depressing that you really can’t do much for them. It’s basically the same shit like reading “In other news, another twenty species went extinct today.” Furthermore, the results of the last effort to get rid of a tyrant in Iraq were not very promising, albeit that effort was certainly not only based on good intentions.

I will address this issue with some strips now and then, because satire is often a good way to remind people of serious problems without getting overly preachy.

Here you can have a look at twenty caricatures about Burma from cartoonists around the world.
powree
Secretary General

Re: Let's talk about Burma

Post by powree »

criticizing politics in comic strips could be quite challenging,but that's the art of it ;)
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Re: Let's talk about Burma

Post by Novil »

Well, I myself didn’t like the huge amount of political strips in “Ozy and Millie”, so I surely won’t make “Sandra and Woo” a tool for my political agenda. However, there are always ways to bring up serious issues in a comic strip without lavishing moral litanies on the readers. I think a mixture of some humorous, some more serious and some weird strips is the best.