Your favorite comic strips

General discussions about comics, current events, media, politics, etc.
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Your favorite comic strips

Post by Novil »

So, what are your favorite webcomics or newspaper strips? Most of my favorites are already listed on the links page, but if I had to bring them into order, my list (excluding the German ones) would look like that:

1. Calvin and Hobbes (with a large margin)
2. Ozy and Millie (although some strips were overly political)
3. The Far Side
4. Duxter (If only there were more...)
5. Zits

UPDATE (27 January 2010):

Newspaper strips:

1. Calvin and Hobbes (overall)
2. The Far Side
3. FoxTrot
4. Zits

Webcomics:

1. Ozy and Millie (ended)
2. Edmund Finney’s Quest to Find the Meaning of Life
3. Gill (ended)
4. Gunnerkrigg Court
5. Duxter (on hiatus)

Please don’t link to comics containing sexual explicit situations or particularly graphic violence
powree
Secretary General

Re: Your favorite comic strips

Post by powree »

My favorite strips... let's see. I read very few strips, so the list is very short. :oops:

I'm torn between Liberty Meadows and Calvin and Hobbes as my favorite strip. Liberty Meadows has beautiful art and decent humor (though sometimes the artist only drew illustration when he's out of ideas lol) but Calvin and Hobbes' snowman strips are definitely too hilarious. Plus the colored illustrations. I'm putting both on my top list. Both has their plus, and both has ended, sadly... T_T good things end quick...

Dilbert, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's too complicated.

Garfield (the early years- maybe 1980s-1990s had better humor and more variety in my opinion, nowadays it becomes less hilarious and repetitive)
endinglight
Novice

Post by endinglight »

sequencial art (jolly jack's collected curios)
fur will fly
hokie dokie/geist panic
all 3 are webcomics, give them a peek, and tell me what you thought
Novil

Post by Novil »

I dunno. I’m just more into classical comic strips instead of comics which are telling a story. One of the rare exceptions are the Donald Duck stories by Don Rosa.
Novil

Post by Novil »

Since Ozy and Millie has ended this month and Duxter is on hiatus, my favorite webcomic at the moment is Gill by Norm Feuti. It’s about a young boy who is living with his poor divorced mother but has not lost his optimism despite the not so fantastic living conditions. The comic is quite funny although it’s often dealing with serious issues.
robert
Novice

Post by robert »

I like F Minus for the usually funny twists on everyday situations. I think they recently redesigned the page so I don't know how much archives are available.

Thunderstruck is a very nice story. Both the art and the writing is good and it has a very professional feeling from the start - just like Sandra and Woo!

Dueling Analogs is a nicely drawn webcomic with jokes about gaming. The strips about rejected Mega Man villains are hilarious.
Novil

Post by Novil »

Ah yes, F-minus, thanks for reminding me of that one. It’s a really funny comic strip in the tradition of The Far Side. I will add a link to it on our link page.
powree
Secretary General

Post by powree »

I'm currently visiting all the comic strips suggested here. They were all wonderful. I like Gill in particular. Quite sarcastic lol... Just a few more to visit :D

I sometimes visit this comic strip. It was made by an Indonesian, so a lot of its culture is familiar for me. Though when it starts talking about ITs and softwares, I am lost :))

http://chickenstrip.wordpress.com/
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Ozy and Millie is one of my favorites. Of course, it just ended, like you already said, but it's still excellent.

Other ones I regularly check up on are VG Cats and then two comics by Bleedman: Grim Tales and Sugar Bits.
Tsanawo
Novice

Post by Tsanawo »

Let's see, comics I like...

1. Dominic Deegan, Oracle for hire.
The ongoing story lines I enjoy in these very mcuh.
2. SSDD or as the website reads, Poisoned Minds
Norman Gates, technically speaks for himself, but he's such a nutjob it's fun to read what he does.
3. The Devil's Panties
I don't know, somehow it just amuses me.
4. Something Positive
Snide comments, loath, politics, intrigue, and two sadistic females who inflict their chaos on the world.
5. Removed by Administrator
Yeah... :ugeek:

I read more comics, but these are among my favourites.
Mine!
Novil

Post by Novil »

Please do not link to websites containing sexual explicit situations or particularly graphic violence.
Duxter
Novice

Post by Duxter »

Wow, Novil. I'm honoured to be included in your top 5! I'm not sure I quite belong there, but thankyou!
I've checked out all the other strips mentioned, and they're brilliant.

My top five favourites, in no particular order, are probably:

Swamp – Probably Australia's best newspaper comic strip, by Gary Clark

Pearls Before Swine – A syndicated strip by Stephan Pastis. If you haven't read it, you should.

Creek – A webcomic by Brian Martin

Inhuman Relations – Dennis Hyer's web strip

Pinkerton – Hugely successful webcomic by Mike Witmer

There are many, many others, but I think those five represent a fair cross-section of the types of strips I'm into.
powree
Secretary General

Post by powree »

For those who like long stories, maybe this web comic can be an option. It updates quite fast ...

www.evildivacomics.com
The Fox
Novice

Post by The Fox »

All the standards.
Ozy And Millie
I still have 500 or so strips that I have not read.
Sinfest
Just one that has everything.
Viki Fox
Amusing at times.
What The Duck
Being a photographer, this is really what happens.
Nick
Last edited by The Fox on 29 Jan 2009, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
With such a wealth of information, why are you so poor? -Greg Graffin
Novil

Post by Novil »

[no longer applicable]
The Fox
Novice

Post by The Fox »

None of it now.
Nick
With such a wealth of information, why are you so poor? -Greg Graffin
Torg
Novice

Post by Torg »

1. Sluggy Freelance: Just generally awesome. It has everything from vampires and witches to killer robots and extradimensional aliens, and still manages to be funny. It is where my username is originally from. Read it. Read it now.

2. Girl Genius: The ultimate steampunk webcomic.

3. Schlock Mercenary: A touching story about a carbosilicate amorph who just wants to kill things, and to that end threatens his way into a mercenary organization. Said organization then takes contracts and blows things up. (I don't think the violence in here is too graphic, but there is obviously some death and destruction involved. If it is objectionable, I apologize for linking to it.)

4. The Book of Biff: This is a single-panel comic about a creature named Biff who does things. Some strips are about ninja throwing pizza and the destruction of North America due to clockwise-flushing Australian toilets being incompatible with counterclockwise American plumbing. Then it gets weird. (Warning: contains graphic depictions of paper cuts.)

5. Sandra and Woo: A fairly new webcomic about a girl and her talking pet raccoon. It has the strongest nonviolent start of any webcomic I've seen, and I've read (and continue to read) plenty. Not much to say about the storyline yet, though.
I have mad skills. I frequently have delusions of grandeur, for instance.
Ninja Skunk

Girl Genius?

Post by Ninja Skunk »

Good job on finding Girl Genius, Torg, but as a fellow reader, I'd like to point out that Kaja Foglio coined the term "Gaslamp Fantasy" for Girl Genius because steampunk wasn't all that accurate of a description.

Still a totally awesome comic, though. Moloch and Dimo are easily my favorites.
endinglight
Novice

Post by endinglight »

Been a little while since I posted. I'll just add afew to the list.
Kitsune Jewel- A webcomic with a great story, amazing art, and updated daily.
Precocious-Also updated daily, and full story/art greatness.
DMFA- What can I say, this one's unique.
I'll probably drop by in few moths to post my next set of 3. (BTW Powree, or Novil, did you check out any of my original 3, what did you think of them?)
pepsi 500
Novice

Post by pepsi 500 »

1. calvin and hobbes. it was the 1st comic i ever read and truly enjoyed, and it's still nice to go back and read them
2. dreamkeepers. a webcomic i found a while ago, reminds me of calvin and hobbes in a way.
3. Allan. the only comic ive ever read 400 strips of in one day, also where i found this site.
4. the far side. i had a year calender of it, so each day i woke up and read a new one, had some brilliant laughs with it.
5. sandra and woo. this will turn out great, its only started and it looks amazing (look back at VGcats and CTRL-ALT-DEL's old strips and see how much they have improved haha)

on a side note, has anyone ever enjoyed marvel comics? they just seem really bad, maybe they should have died out a few years after they were introduced...
if i met the guy who invented emotes, i'd beat the hell outta him...
Rabid_Fox
Secretary

Post by Rabid_Fox »

In no particular order and with explanations:

The Far Side: I'm loving how many mentions it gets here. Nobody can do the 'something terrible is about to happen and that's hilarious' gag like Larson. 'The Pre-History of the Far Side' is a must-read for anyone with any interest in comics as an expressive art. Also, the animated 'Far Side' show was unique, in that it drew out the bleaker side of the comics without compromising the style. Larson once said that if he worked in more than one panel, if you could see what happened before or after that snapshot that he drew that he'd never have been published and when you watch the animated show, you can understand that.

Ozy And Mille: A subtle blend of innocence, biting political satire and character interactions over the course of a decade makes this a rewarding read, though the concluding two years saw a massive change in tone and direction that alienated a lot of long term fans at the worst possible time (myself included). Nevertheless...

B.C.: I was surprised to see how critically unloved this comic is. It's, all at one time, utterly absurd, self-conscious of itself as a strip, sneeringly sarcastic and winningly whimsical - I have B.C. collections with yellowing, crackly pages that I keep going back to.

Dan & Mab's Furry Adventures: More than anything else, this is a comic that shows exactly what development and change means - artistic development, narrative development, character development: from very shoddy beginnings to a compelling long-term story that still manages to get 'a gag a strip' in. Amber Williams should be the model for aspiring webcomic artists starting from nothing.

XCKD - Smug as the gags may be, it recognises that smugness and uses it against itself. I like a comic with a sense of flagellation.

Penny Arcade - For the relationship between Tycho and Gabe (not the characters, the creators). Tycho's writing is brilliant, he can turn a phrase on a sixpence and not have to worry about spare change and Gabe can exaggerate an expression to fit the vitriolic intellectualism wonderfully.

Vinci & Arty - It's sweet. It may revolve around queer animals and their relationship, but it's still one of the most heart-warming domestic tales I've read, with a pleasantly unidealistic approach to how they get washed up by troubles and miserably fail to deal with them.

Andy Capp - his 'man of the world' inability to deal with the simplest of situations made him a wonderful reflection on the conflicts of male identity in the modern world. I love him for that.

...ooo, I've wasted my life.
Oh my.
powree
Secretary General

Post by powree »

Well, I just found http://www.Kiskaloo.com made by Chris Sanders, the guy who co-created Lilo and Stitch. Funny, too bad it's not updated for a loooong timmeeee...
Ninja Skunk

How about this one?

Post by Ninja Skunk »

Does anyone else read Evil Diva?

Angels. Demons. A Really Old Guy.

Seriously, though, Evil Diva is strangely cute and light-hearted, although it does use the tired old premise of "stick mythical beings and legends in a school setting" premise.
powree
Secretary General

Post by powree »

Yep, I read Evil Diva too. Down side is, it really takes a while for things to heat up, so I rather read after there's a lot of strips available,lol...
mr anderson
Novice

Post by mr anderson »

i love reading comics y dad packed them all T_T but my favourite is calvin and hobs shermans lagoon farside and sandra and woo
yukon ho!
Long Tom
Novice

Post by Long Tom »

My favorites:

Broom Hilda. Russell Meyer is an absolute genius in squeezing so many laughs out of a strip about a witch, a vulture, and a troll.

Mutts. A cartoon about animals that really catches how they are.

Newshounds. It used to be funnier before it turned dark, but it still provides plenty of wit.

S. S. D. D. The British humor does keep it going.
JJA79

Post by JJA79 »

Well i have only read to comics so i cant really say my favorite.

1. Kevin & Kell This does contain animals eating each other but it never actually shows it. It has strips that seem unrelated but tell a story.
2. Sandra and Woo (Its close though)
Novil

Post by Novil »

Hey, JJA79. You registered at the worst possible moment. After updating to phpBB 3.06 I deleted all inactive accounts of users with 0 posts to get rid of all the spambots. Your account was among them since your post was not yet approved.

This means you have to register again.
JJA79
Novice

Post by JJA79 »

No problem :) I was wondering why the forum went down for a few seconds... lol the forums has a ghost now.
Onomatopoeia
Novice

Post by Onomatopoeia »

I.. Well I read alot of webcomics.
Rather than link to them with a small description, I simply screen-capped an image of them, blocked of the sexually explicit ones and uploaded it to ImageShack :D

Though, some of them have people vs zombies & people vs WoW Monsters.

I read about 7 others, that I won't list.
I'm Onomatopoeia.
Real name; Daniel Michael Jack Johnathan Degrose Simpson
Age; 18
Origin; England

I'll make a real signature later :D