Comic Images

Discussions about everything related to Sandra and Woo, including questions about the website or forum.

Also the board for official announcements and posting rules.
Greenficiency
Novice

Comic Images

Post by Greenficiency »

Hi there! I really enjoy reading Sandra and Woo and would like to help out. I recently started a sort of project to try and making websites more efficient and green. I know it's not much but I like to be able to help people. I poked around some and noticed that Sandra and Woo could be made a bit more greenficient. I compressed and optimized the comic images using several programs so that they're smaller, and because of that should load faster for people on slower internet and use less of your own server resources :mrgreen:

Here's a preview example http://greenficiency.com/examples/sandraandwoo/saw.html . Let me know what you think, I'll glady help out :D
Attachments
sandraandwoo.zip
Optimized versions of the comic.
(865.88 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
http://greenficiency.com making the web more greenficient!
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Re: Comic Images

Post by Novil »

Cool, I exchanged the files on the website with yours. After having a look at it, I just found an option in my image processing program to decrease the image size nearly to the same low level. Since I think it’s not important if a file is 36 or 39 KByte, you don’t have to spend more time in the future. :)
Greenficiency
Novice

Post by Greenficiency »

I'm so glad I could help! :D

It's not really that much trouble at all, I think it's also a good safety net to have a smaller site in case a really big popular webcomic links to the site, that way hopefully there would be less lag and the site is more likely to stay up ;)
Novil
Supreme Ruler and Dictator-for-Life

Post by Novil »

Well, I have already reduced the image size by reducing the resolution to 16 gray scales, but there was an obscure “filter” option in the “Save image” dialog which cost more than 10 KByte per file.

I have installed the plugin WordPress Super Cache which is said to be very good at handling high-traffic spikes, so it shouldn’t be a big problem if, say, xkcd decides to put a link on our site. But I guess all is lost when a strip should hit the front page of Digg. There is just not much you can do against a Digg DOS attack when your site is not running on your own server.
Greenficiency
Novice

Post by Greenficiency »

Heh well technically there is quite a bit you can do to thwart a Digg DOS, it just needs to either be implemented beforehand or as soon as possible when it starts to happen. Minifying js, css, and the html, moving the css and js to other hosts, moving pictures to other hosts, essentially only have the html hosted on the main server and everything else spread across multiple sites and hosts. That's a little more complicated to do running comicpress rather than a custom designed site that you know your way around though. But yes on the easier side of things just having the pictures smaller will only gain a smaller amount of uptime than before ;) I feel any extra uptime when you're getting big publicity is key, I've seen comics that grew enormous fanbases because there was a flurry of linking within just a week, a very key time to stay up while tons of free publicity is on the site.
If it's ok with you whenever I have free time I'll run your images through my process and upload them here for you, I guess I'm a little obsessive about efficiency and stuff :P