└ posted on Thursday, 7 May 2015, by Novil
- Sandra: We all know the worst mass murderers in history. But far too few people know the heroes who saved the most lives.
- Caption: Ignaz Semmelweis, Hungarian physician at the Vienna General Hospital, discovered in 1847 that the incidence of childbed fever could be drastically cut by the use of diligent hand disinfection.
- Physician: A gentleman’s hands are never dirty!
- Ignaz Semmelweis: I beg to differ.
- Caption: During the Massacre of Nanking in 1938, German businessman John Rabe established safety zones that sheltered over 200,000 Chinese citizens from the Japanese army.
- John Rabe: Would you let go for a moment? I need to go to the bathroom.
- Caption: Stanislav Petrov, lieutenant colonel of the Soviet Air Defense Forces, may have prevented a nuclear war in 1983 when he correctly identified the launch of five American nuclear missiles as a false alarm of the Soviet’s early warning system.
- Stanislav Petrov: No, no! These aren’t nuclear missiles! These are just weather balloons!
- Yury Votintsev: Hmm…