I made a few minor changes to the dialog of the following five pages. I felt that it’s possible to make things clearer without harming the flow of the story.

  • Shadowdancers 51: Added a word bubble with “Delvor!” in it to the second last word bubble to make it clear that Viviana is angry about the newspaper’s first headline that is shown in the next panel.
  • The Tower in the Sky 2: Added “[…], sis.” to the boy’s word bubble in the last panel to make it clear that he’s Lilith’s brother.
  • The Tower in the Sky 15: Changed Lilith’s word bubbles in the first two panels to “Hmm, I can see the sky…” and “… But with loophole spells, you can never be sure.” to make it clear that Lilith cast a hole into the prison wall and that she’s not sure if it’s safe to use it.
  • The Tower in the Sky 23: Added “… or to dig around it.” to Viviana’s word bubble in the second last panel to make it clear that she’s showing Ilias their digging attempt in the last panel.
  • The Tower in the Sky 43: Added “The hole lasted for a whole minute, not bad.” to Lilith’s last word bubble to give some context to her next sentence.

Character occurrence frequency 2011 to 2013

Here is a diagram that shows how often the main and supporting characters of Gaia appeared each year. Note that there were only 28 pages in 2011. You can click on the image for a larger version.

Character occurrence frequency 2011 to 2013 in Gaia

Working on improvements for the last 5 pages

Some of our most observant readers have pointed out some minor issues in the last five published pages, for example the way Letho is holding the arrow in page 5 and 6. I have also found a few panels where the course of action could be made clearer with a few small alterations. Therefore we will publish an updated version of these pages over the course of the next days. Since our buffer of finished pages is large enough, this won’t have a negative impact on our update schedule on this website.

I find action scenes to be very hard to do right in comics. I just flipped through the very good Bone comic book by Jeff Smith and didn’t have to look long until I found one panel with a fighting move which is physically impossible (page 1156, panel 1) and one panel with a fighting move which is at least questionable (page 1169, panel 2).

Comic lettering guide

Some time ago, I wrote a lettering guide for Sandra and Woo and Gaia. It is a collection of various tips for better lettering and was meant for internal use, but I figured other cartoonists might also be interested in it. So here it is:

Comic lettering guide

About ads, posters and Larisa’s secret

About ads

I have recently received a few complaints about annoying ads on, in particular from readers visiting the website on their Android mobile phone. I want to apologize for that, but you have to understand that it’s not always easy for me to fix this kind of problem, especially without further information about the ad. Every user, including myself, sees different ads! I have already limited our pool of ad agencies to those who offer the possibility to block certain kinds of ads (and domains) in their administration panel. Please write an e-mail to or write a post in this forum thread if you had a problem with an ad. The comment section of a comic is not the right place for such complaints.

If is not the only the website suddenly showing popup ads or other annoying ads, it might also be possible that your Android phone is compromised. Android phones are gradually becoming the number one target for viruses and malware, including malicious apps tinkering with the web browser.

About posters

I know that there are around 20 readers waiting for their free posters. Last week, I was finally able to take the time to prepare everything, at least I thought so. I ordered and received the mailing tubes and prepared the image files. However, it turned out that the print shop wants PDF files and I’m currently a bit puzzled how to create them. I need:

  • 2 images on an A1 print, 5 images on an A3 print, 3 images on an A4 print.
  • The images should be enlarged (or shrinked) to fill the format, including a small white border around them.
  • There should be no quality loss.

I looked for PNG to PDF converters but found nothing that matches my requirements since the PDFCreator is bundled with malware. So maybe I will just use Word. However, I’m afraid that will become a tedious task. But it’s probably still faster than using LaTeX… Well, if someone could give me a tip in the comment section I’d appreciate it. If someone could do the whole conversion for me that would be even better. If you’re eager to help, write an e-mail to

Update: I used Scribus as recommended by a few readers. Thank you for all your suggestions!

About Larisa’s secret

Many of you wonder if Larisa’s “big secret” is related to her behavior in [0126] Secrets. While I don’t want to talk about that in particular, it certainly appears odd that I haven’t written a story arc about Larisa’s background in all these years since [0126] Secrets was published. The reason for that is that I started to like the story arc that I had originally planned less and less and eventually decided to ditch it. I’m sure that many of you would not have liked that story arc or even hated it as well. I can therefore only ask for your patience until I’m able to come up with a story arc of the usual quality you can expect from Sandra and Woo.